V.I.P Road, Baguiati, Kolkata
V.I.P Road, Baguiati,
+91 97480 49907
Pilo Nidal Sinus
Pilus stands for hair and nidus means nest. Pilonidal sinus is a small hole, tunnel or abscess under the skin containing hair. It usually develops at the top of the cleft of the buttocks, where the buttocks separate. Men suffer more than women. The condition mostly requires surgical intervention. Recurrence is very common.
What causes Pilonidal sinus ?
The exact cause is unknown. It is speculated that the combination of buttock friction and suction effect in the area allow shedding of hairs which is collected there to drill through the midline skin and form recurrent abscess.
What are the common sites of Pilonidal sinus ?
- Between the buttocks over the tail bone (commonest)
- Finger webs
- Arm pit (axilla)
- Around umbilicus (rare)
Who suffers from Pilonidal sinus ?
- Having a hairy and deep natal cleft
- Person having recurrent skin infection in the particular part
- Hair dressers
When to consult a doctor ?
- Pain over the tailbone.
- Chronic discharging sinus.
- Swelling around the skin in natal cleft
- Pus formation
Why Ayurveda ?
- Minimally invasive procedure with Ksharasutra.
- Performed under local anesthesia.
- Minimum blood loss during surgery.
- No hospitalization is required.
- Less chance of recurrence.